Social networking for Students
ATRA Students! on Facebook

Social networking for Educators
RT Educators on Facebook

Research Journals

American Journal of Recreational Therapy (AJRT)
Therapeutic Recreation Journal (TRJ)– discount for ATRA members!

What are the minimum academic requirements to become an RT (CTRS)?

1.Earn a Bachelor or higher degree with a specialization/concentration/major/minor in Therapeutic Recreation or Recreation Therapy  from an accredited college or university that includes the following coursework:

  • 1 course (3 hours) in Recreation
  • 6 courses (18 hours) in RT/TR
  • 1 course (3 hours) in Anatomy & Physiology (or a course in Anatomy + a course in physiology)
  • 1 course (3 hours) in Human Growth & Development Across the Lifespan
  • 1 course (3 hours) in Abnormal Psychology

2. Complete a 560 hour & 14 week academic internship under the supervision of a CTRS at the internship site and at the academic institution. The site supervisor must have the CTRS credential for a minimum of 1 year before supervising interns.

3. Pass the Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) exam from NCTRC.

Looking for a Recreation Therapy academic program?
Aurora University– BS
Chicago State University– BS
Illinois State University– BS
Moraine Valley Community College– AAS
Southern Illinois University– BS & graduate certificate, Facebook
University of St. Francis– BS & Certificate
Western Illinois University– BS
ATRA’s list of academic programs

What program level accreditations are available for RT/TR academic programs?

Bachelor level RT programs can be but are not required to be accredited by the following organizations:
Committee on Accreditation of Recreational Therapy Education (CARTE)
Council on Accreditation Parks, Recreation, Tourism and Related Professions (COAPRT)

Graduating from an accredited program is not required to become qualified to sit for the CTRS exam.
Graduating for an accredited university is required to sit for the CTRS exam.

**Interested in a career as RT/TR faculty?**

The minimum requirements for a Non-Tenure Track (NTT) position in TR/RT at most universities:
2. Work experience as an RT (2 years required for CARTE accredited programs)
3. Teaching experience at the college level as instructor of record or as a teaching assistant.
4. Graduate degree in recreation/recreation therapy

*NTT positions are paid per course taught.
Salary will change based on course load per semester with full time=4 courses/12 credit hours per semester (Fall-spring). Summer semester may leave faculty unpaid if there are no available courses to teach.

*NTT faculty positions are:
Professor of Practice or Clinical Professor (doctorate or PhD).
Instructor or Lecturer (masters degree)

The minimum requirements for a Tenure-Track (TT) position at most universities:
2. Work experience as an RT (2 years required for CARTE accredited programs)
3. Teaching experience at the college level as the instructor of record
4. Research, publications, conference presentations or posters
5. A PhD or doctorate in recreation/recreation therapy or a related field (public health, health sciences, rehab, social work, education, etc.) If the doctorate/PhD degree is in a related field, the masters degree must be in Recreation/RT

*TT faculty are assigned a course load for the 9mo academic year.
They teach fewer courses, with a common amount being 2 courses/6 credit hours per semester. TT faculty are expected to conduct research, publish articles, advise/mentor graduate students, supervise graduate student projects/internships, and serve on graduate student thesis committees in addition to their teaching load.

*TT Positions are:
Associate Professor & Professor (tenured=promotional titles)
Assistant Professor (entry level/tenure track)

*TT faculty usually have a 5 year time period to earn tenure.
Tenure is earned by meeting the teaching, research, and service requirements adopted by the department the TT works in. If tenure is not earned, the TT faculty is dropped to NTT status if a position is available. If a NTT position is not available, the faculty member is unemployed.

Where do you look for academic jobs?
Chronical of Higher Ed Jobs
Higher Ed Jobs